Recount is a text which retells events or experiences in the past. Its purpose is either to inform or to entertain the audience. There is no complication among the participants and that differentiates from Narrative
To retell something that happened in the past and to tell a series of past event
Types of Recount
- Personal recount ( retelling of an activity that the speaker/writer has been personally involved) e.g. oral anecdote, diary entry, biography
- Factual recount (recording the particulars of an incident e.g. police report, news report)
- Imaginative recount (taking on an imaginary role and giving details of events) e.g. a day in the life of
Generic Structure of Recount
1. Orientation: Introducing the participants, place and time
2. Events: Describing series of event that happened in the past
3. Reorientation: It is optional. Stating personal comment of the writer to the story
Language Features of Recount
• Introducing personal participant; I, my group, etc
• Using chronological connection; then, first, etc
• Using linking verb; was, were, saw, heard, etc
• Using action verb; look, go, change, etc
• Using simple past tense
Narrative and recount in some ways are similar. Both are telling something in the past so narrative and recount usually apply PAST TENSE; whether Simple Past Tense, Simple Past Continuous Tense, or Past Perfect Tense. The ways narrative and recount told are in chronological order using time or place. Commonly narrative text is found in story book; myth, fable, folklore, etc while recount text is found in biography.
The thing that makes narrative and recount different is the structure in which they are constructed. Narrative uses conflicts among the participants whether natural conflict, social conflict or psychological conflict. In some ways narrative text combines all these conflicts. In the contrary, we do not find these conflicts inside recount text. Recount applies series of event as the basic structure
The example of Recount Text:
The First Day in My School
Two days ago, exactly on Monday, I went to SMAN 03 Kotabumi for the first time. I went there by motorcycle. Because I did not know where that school was, I was so afraid if I would go ashtray and be late.
After having arrived at SMAN 03 Kotabumi, I did not find any friend of mine. I thought whether I was in the right place or not. A few minutes later, one of my friends came and he was followed by all my friends who had teaching training there.
Before I joined the flag ceremony, I had gone to library. I could see many new things there such as a great magazine “PIONEER”, newspaper, wise words, etc. Then, a teacher asked me to go out and join the flag ceremony. Joining it, I got a new thing, a teacher greeted students using English in ceremony.
Then, a teacher explained to me about SMAN 03 Kotabumi and showed me all facilities there. I thought this school was different from other school which I had found before.
I decided to do the best in my teaching training in this school.
Last Friday our school went to Centennial Park for a picnic
First our teachers marked the rolls and the we got on the buses. On the buses, everyone was chatting and eating. When we arrived at the park, some students played cricket, some played cards but others went for a walk with the teachers. At lunchtime, we sat together and had our picnic. Finally, at two o’clock we left for school.
We had a great day.
WHAT I DID ON SATURDAY