To present information and opinions about issues in more one side of an issue (‘For/Pros’ and ‘Against/Cons’)
2. Arguments for against or statement of differing points of view
– Main Point (gagasan pokok 1)
– Elaboration (uraian)
– Main Point (gagasan pokok 2)
– Elaboration (uraian 2)
– Main Point
3. Conclusion or Recommendation
- Focus on generic human and generic non-human Participants
- General noun stating category such as: uniforms, alcohol, etc.
- Relating verbs giving information about discussed issue, e.g.: smoking is harmful.
- Thinking verbs (mental process) expressing writer’s idea, e.g.: feel, believe, hope, etc.
- Use of Material process, e.g.: has produced, have developed, to feed, etc.
- Use of Relational Process, e.g.: is, are, cause, etc.
- Modalities, like: perhaps, must, should, should have been, could be, could have
- Use of Comparative: Contrastive and Consequential conjunctions to relate argument, e.g.: similarly, on the other hand, however, etc
- Adverb of Manner: hopefully, deliberately
- Detailed noun group, like: the dumping of unwanted kittens, etc.
The examples of Discussion Text:
The Advantages and the Disadvantages of Nuclear Energy
Nuclear energy is commonly offered as an alternative to overcome the crisis of energy. The debate of whether the use of nuclear energy is an appropriate choice has not come to an end. Some people agree with the utilization of it because of its benefits. Some others, however, disagree because of its risks to the environment.
Those who agree with the operation of nuclear reactors usually argue that nuclear energy is the only feasible choice to answer the ever-increasing energy needs. In their opinion, the other sources of energy: oil, coal, and liquid natural gas are not renewable and safe, while nuclear energy can be sustainable when produced in a safe way.
However, people who disagree with the use of nuclear energy point out that the waste of nuclear products can completely destroy the environment and human lives. A meltdown in a reactor, for example, usually results in the contamination of the surrounding soil and water. Take for example, the blow up of the nuclear reactor at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Station in Russia twenty years ago. The serious contamination imperiled people and the environment severely.
It is obvious that nuclear energy should be avoided because it really endangers the environment but what about a less polluted energy instead of nuclear energy? Is there any alternative energy to overcome the crisis of energy?
- I have been wondering if homework is necessary.
- I think we should have homework because it helps us to learn and revise or work. Homework helps people who aren’t very smart to remember what they have learned. Homework is really good because it helps with our education.
Statement of different point of view/Contradicted idea:
- But, my times, doing homework is not a great idea. I think we shouldn’t have homework because I like to go out after school to a restaurant or the movies. Sometimes homework is boring and not important. I think homework is bad because I like to play and discuss things with my family.
Euthanasia is the act of intentionally causing the painless death of a sick person. In terms of a physician’s actions, it can be passive in that a physician plays no direct role in the death of the person or it can be active in that the physician does something directly to cause the death. Now the question: Do you think it is right for a physician to refuse to participate in active euthanasia?
It is NEVER right for a physician or any one else to deliberately hasten a person’s death. This includes all forms of euthanasia-active and passive. To deliberately withhold food/fluids is to subject the person to a painful death-it is NOT a humane death. We are not in a position to determine the worth of a life. Every person has a soul-it is up to God to determine when he will take that soul from the shell that is the human body. We all have a duty to support life with ordinary means-food/fluids but we are not required to use extrordinary means-aggressive life support,dialysis,etc indefinitely.
O.K. now, euthanasia (I think) is a type of suicide, whether or not you are sick. Physicians absolutley have the choice of NOT participating, in fact it should not be legal!!! Now if you put someone to death who was sick, or heck they dont even have to be sick, but you would look at your self everyday and be reminded of it. i bet you would feel like a murderer. If people want to die they can commit suicide in their own homes, makin someone else do it is not going to make it any better morally. Euthanasia is a sad, sad deal, please try to stop it.
I believe if the person wants to die to end their life they should have the right to choose.I do not believe that the person should beable to have themselves killed if they’re not really suffering. Yes the person does have the right to kill him or herself. BUt the authourity stands in the way of that. If this is such a free country why can’t anyone participate in EUTHANASIA?
If we have the right (at least in the U.S) to do whatever we want to with our lives, whether it be rich and famous or an alcoholic crack head, why is it that we can not decide when our life should end? It is ours, if we can kill the life that grows inside us, we should be allowed to also destroy the life that harbors others. Especially if that person is in pain and requests that some end their suffering. I don’t think you can allow one law with out the either. A life is a life, right?