- Hortatory exposition is a type of spoken or written text that is intended to explain the listeners or readers that something should or should not happen or be done.
- Hortatory exposition text can be found in scientific books, journals, magazines, newspaper articles, academic speech or lectures, research report etc.
- Hortatory expositions are popular among science, academic community and educated people.
- To strengthen the explanation, the speaker or writer needs some arguments as the fundamental reasons of the given idea. In other words, this kind of text can be called as argumentation.
To persuade the readers that something should or should not be the case or be done.
- Thesis : Statement or announcement of issue concern
- Arguments : Reasons for concern that will lead to recommendation
- Recommendation : Statement of what should or should not happen or be done based on the given arguments
1. Using Simple Present Tense
2. Using modals
3. Using action verbs
4. Using thinking verbs
5. Using adverbs
6. Using adjective
7. Using technical terms
8. Using general and abstract noun
9. Using connectives/transition
Then what is the basic difference between analytical and hortatory exposition?
In simple word. Analytical is the answer of “How is/will” while hortatory is the answer of “How should”. Analytical exposition will be best to describe “How will student do for his examination? The point is the important thing to do. But for the question” How should student do for his exam?” will be good to be answered with hortatory. It is to convince that the thing should be done.
The examples of Hortatory Exposition:
Internet for students
Nowadays, in modern era, I think internet is very important for students.
As we all know internet has many function for supporting our life. They are, first, it gives us various information, news, knowledge etc. Students can search anything or something from internet. Take for example, they search about education, entertainment, knowledge etc that is in the world.
Second, they can add their friends in all countries in the world by internet. Chatting, e-mail, facebook, twitter, interpals are some examples of internet facility to have many friends. Besides, they can share, communicate, discuss and so on.
From my arguments above, as student, we should use internet facility well to get knowledge, friends, information etc.
Is it important to know what your kids are watching? Of course it is. Television can expose your children to things that you have tried to protect them from, especially violence, drug abuse, etc.
One study demonstrated that watching too much TV during the day or at bedtime often causes bedtime resistance, sleep onset delay and anxiety around sleep, followed by shortened sleep duration.
Another study found a significant association between the amount of time spent watching television during adolescence and early adulthood, and the like hood of subsequent aggressive acts against others.
Meanwhile, many studies have found an association between kids watching a lot of TV, being inactive and overweight.
Considering some facts above, protect your children with some following tips:
- Limit television viewing to 1-2 hours each day.
- Do not allow your children to have a TV set in their bedrooms.
- Review the ratings of TV shows that your children watch.
- Watch television with your children and discuss what is happening during the show.