EXPRESSING HOPES & DREAMS
Hopes and dreams
Hope is something that we want to happen and we work very hard for it to happen. But we are not sure whether it will happen or not and sometimes we can’t do anything about it. Hopes and dreams signal future intentions (Ben, 2012).
The verb ‘hope’ is to express:
- An event that possibly happened (past)
- A event that will possibly happen (future)
To say what you hope about the past, you use the simple past:
- I hope she found the restaurant.
- I hope he passed his class last semester.
To say what you hope about the present, you use the present:
- I hope he‘s all right.
- I hope he knows where the clinic is.
- I hope he‘s having a good time in Florida.
- I hope he likes Italian food.
To say what you hope about the future, you use the present (or the future, although it is less common)
- I hope he has a good time in Florida next month. (I hope he’ll have a good time in Florida next month.)
- I hope she comes to see us when she passes through New York.(I hope she’ll come to see us when she passes through New York.)
How to express our hopes:
a. Sentence structure to express hope using ”ing verbs”.
|I||am hoping||for some good weather tomorrow|
|I||am hoping||for a good grade in English.|
b. Sentence structure to express hope using “to” and “that”.
|I||hope||to study in America next year.|
|I||hope||to do something beneficial for my country|
|I||hope||that there is enough food for everyone in the party.|
c.Sentence structure to express hope using verb tenses.
|I||hope||Rahmat found the place.|
|I||hope||my brother passed the test.|
|I||hope||Dessy finds my wallet.|
|I||hope||Iwan is having a good time in Bali.|
|I||hope||my brother will have a good time in Jakarta|
|I||hope||Yanti will not see us when she passes by.|
Examples to express hope:
– I want to become a doctor.
– I am hoping to finish all my work on time.
– I hope I will realize all my dreams.
– I hope that I will always be honest.
– I hope that I will never lie.
– I hope that I will never smoke.
– I want to get my homework done.
source: Buku Siswa Bahasa Inggris Kelas X, Kemendikbud RI 2014